Industrial Dampers & Expansion Joints
Since 1988, Markair Inc. has been the go-to provider of consulting, design, and manufacturing services for industrial ventilation equipment, helping our customers find the ideal solutions for power generation, system design, field surveying, maintenance of equipment, and more. Among our many product offerings is our wide range of industrial dampers. Here we will explore what industrial dampers are as well as the various types of industrial dampers that Markair offers.
Industrial dampers are crucial parts of any industrial ventilation system, as they help regulate airflow in and out of the system, whether it’s clean air, airstreams with corrosive gases, or airstreams with particulate matter. Industrial dampers are a key part of creating a breathable environment in many workplaces. In industrial settings, dampers are typically used to shut off certain parts of a workplace from other ventilated areas while keeping other areas well vented. This is typically done in tandem with a fan to pull contaminated air into the vents to direct it through filters. Industrial dampers are used in both ducted and unducted vent systems and are most often made from steel and/or plastic.
Expansion joints are another important aspect of industrial dampers. These components are designed as flexible additions to ducts that offer extra stress relief and sealing power for dampers. They are most often used to ensure an air-tight seal in environments where a damper’s normal capabilities may not be enough. For example, they are commonly used in areas with temperature fluctuations that would cause a vent system to expand and contract over time or in areas that frequently move or jostle. Markair, Inc. can provide various expansion joints, including:
- Fabric Expansion Joints
- Teflon Coated FRP Material
- Stainless Steel Angle Rings
- Abrasion Resistant Construction
- Insulated Construction
- High Temperature Applications
Types of Industrial Dampers
There are several types of industrial dampers a facility may use for airflow control, each of which is suitable for different applications and environments. These include:
- Butterfly. Butterfly dampers are a type of round damper that provides optimal flow control and low leakage when sealed. They are available in both single- and multi-bladed designs for cost-effective flow control and isolation of flue gases.
- Louver. Louver dampers are ideal for precision flow control and isolation due to their quick response time, fast cycling, and zero leak design. They are available in parallel blade, opposed blade, and double blade configurations.
- Guillotine. A guillotine damper is composed of a metal plate that slides over the damper opening to provide flow isolation, typically for maintenance or inspection purposes. They provide complete isolation and tight shut-off without taking up large amounts of space.
- Inlet Vane. Inlet vane dampers can control large volumes of air and are ideal for applications that require volume control and fan shut-off. The center hub design variant is best used for clean air uptake while the cantilever design is ideal for regulating contaminated air.
Industrial Dampers from Markair
Industrial dampers are an important part of any industrial ventilation system, providing airflow control and isolation to ensure breathable environments for various industries. Depending on your facility’s needs, there are various types of industrial dampers and expansion joints to ensure a tight seal in any environment.
As an industry leader in industrial ventilation equipment, Markair produces dampers in various designs ideal for different working environments. For more information, or to get started on your industrial damper solution, contact us today.